Wednesday, April 28, 2010

6 Weeks & 25 Pounds Down

Well, today I weighed-in for the 7th time and since my first weigh in I have done so many positive things for myself. I have taught myself proper portion size; this was especially important because I realized that I used to eat 3-4 portions at dinner and even after eating all that food I would sit in front of the TV and eat a snack.

So at first I had no idea; the measuring cup was my best friend - I measured everything and logged every single insignificant calorie. I had to know exactly what I could eat and which foods provided the most nutrients as well as fats and sugars. So now, here I am 6 weeks later... I'm not using the measuring cups all that much because I have a very good eye for a proper portion size - I may go over a bit when we eat out but it's usually grilled chicken or rice so neither will do much harm.

As for snacks - thank god for the 100-calorie packs. It's nice to have a choice of either shortbread, chocolate chip cookies, or chocolate dipped pretzels and more. But my favorite snacks have been fresh berries and yogurt with some Cheerios. I know it doesn't sound very appealing but the flavors and the textures go well together for a nice variation of a parfait.

I am not knocking any weight loss method, because we are all unique and have unique needs - but I have to say that I've seen commercials that have made measuring seem such hard work - well who said weight loss is easy. Either I measure it out myself or I pay hundreds of dollars a month for food from a Nutri-system and still have to buy veggies on top of it. The program will work if you either comment to the monthly bill and frozen foods OR you have to learn how to cook moderate servings. Why not do both at the same time?

Sure we're probably spending more buying for our new diet - but its only replacing what we've been buying all along - we have 3 children and they are starting to feel the results of our healthier eating. With that being said they are still getting hot dogs, chicken nuggets and other kids favorites. Our biggest expense which is my new found addiction - the Gym. It's a $50 / month habit that I don't think I'll ever be able to stop - it may be modified here and there, but it will likely be a part of my life for the rest of it.

I'm already a success story losing 25 pounds in 6 short weeks, I've still got a long way to go and I've never been more motivated. My next goal is another 25 pounds in 12 weeks - 221 by 7/28 - I figured that the easy part is over now I have to burn about 2 pounds each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment