Monday, April 19, 2010

Didn't happen overnight

Today I want to talk about other issues that I've faced with my weight battle. Besides not being as competitive athletically, I've dealt with a lot of psychological problems. I would not consider them severe, but they are personal and have had a lasting effect on my esteem.

Now I wasn't always overweight - it wasn't until middle school that I started to gain weight, it continued through high school. This is probably the most humiliating story I can post on here, but I feel its part of the healing process and again - I'm hoping that my tribulation will help others be strong in the face of this stupidity.

I've been called fatso, larda$$, and other mean names. One of the most humiliating moments for me was in the 7th grade, when one of my teachers (in fact, he was one of my favorites up until this point) called me "Butterball" in class. It was a nickname that stuck with me and traumatized me until I moved away at the end of 8th grade.

I was hoping to get a new start in Tucson, but it didn't take long before I was tagged with a nickname of "Pugsly" based on the character Pugsly Addams. While the name butterball sent me into depression, I tried not to allow pugsly to do the same, but embracing it. Not even my closest friend knew that every time I heard that nickname, I wanted to cry. I didn't eat a lot of junk, I was fairly active - I was just overweight. And because of that I'm doomed to a world of verbal assault and humiliation?

It's hard enough knowing you're not considered attractive to the opposite sex during your adolescence but to also be constantly reminded of it when your "friends" call you by a ridiculous name because you look like the fat kid from The Addams Family.

Now I did manage to lose the weight mostly because I began to play a lot of tennis, and I didn't eat much. And for the most part maintained a healthy weight until about 8 years ago. Over the past 8 years, my excuse for overeating and not exercising was "I"m happy with who I am". This is true, but I am not happy to what I've done to my body. I am fortunate not have have any life threatening illnesses such as; heart disease, diabetes, or high blood pressure.

Being overweight is as much mental as it is physical. Much like a smoker trying to quit - we have to reprogram ourselves to get out and get some regular exercise and to eat regular portions. I've fought past my esteem problems, however as each day goes by I feel stronger and healthier and it just adds to my confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment