Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day 2 - Busy Thursday

Today was very busy (work related). But I still got it off to a great start with a balanced breakfast.

Breakfast:
Quaker Weight Control - Cinnamon
1 Pear
Dannon Lite N Fit Lowfat Vanilla Yogurt
2Tbsp French Vanilla Creamer
316 calories

It was delicious and filling, I used an apple core/slicer to slice the pear, and I took Jillian Michael's advice "don't eat standing up". So I sat down and actually enjoyed my meal - seemed like so much food. I've never been much of a breakfast eater but man what an energy boost.

I headed out for business and was in a meeting right up until lunch - Note, I missed my snack. Hunger was beginning to set in. But I had my water. So on my drive home I thought where can I stop that would not kill my plan. Then I thought of Jared from Subway - Yes! So I was on a mission, I knew of one along my way home and I stopped in and got a 6" Turkey Breast & Black Forest Ham on Wheat - I had lots of veggies, a slice of Provolone, salt/pepper, oil/vinegar & mustard. I made it a combo with some Baked! Lays & a Coke Zero. My best estimate of calories for the meal about 410. Still not too bad.

With all the choices you can have at Subway - a great iPhone app would be to build your sandwich and then have it calculate the nutritional value.

I leave Subway and run some errands - spending about an hour walking around stores, then I head home. My afternoon snack consists of a cheese stick & 2 WheatThin Flatbreads. 142 calories.

For dinner, my wife & I decided on salmon patties - we love these and they are a healthier alternative to hamburgers. We grill them on each side for about 4 mins at 400 degrees. I chose to have my as part of my salad with a couple Wheatthin Flatbreads (I really like these). My wife chose to roll it all up in a Garden Spinach Lawash (green tortilla) like a burrito. We both enjoyed our variations and left the dinner table satisfied having only consumed about 400 calories.

After dinner, my wife & I, along with our 7 yr old daughter took our dog for a walk. We walked for about 30 minutes, it was rather slow pace but it was consistent. My pedometer, which I had picked up earlier in the day from Walmart for $5 showed that we walked just under 1 mile. It sure didn't feel like it. We will probably build in a 2-3 mile walk a couple nights a week into our fitness plan.

Now, I'm at the same point as I was yesterday. I've made it through the day and only consumed 1260 calories of my 2000 budget. So I again have flexibility in my evening snack. It might have been closer if I was home for my morning snack and lunch but I made due. I was not about to eat 740 calories but I wanted to close the gap a bit.

My wife bought the Lawash Flatbread (basically healthy tortillas). She picked up spinach which we both like, she had it with her dinner and I wanted to try in as part of a snack. So I spooned out 2Tbsp of Garden Veggie Philly Cream Cheese onto one of the flatbread, and rolled up like a "cheese roll-up". It tasted great, it was filling and was only 150 calories.

Total calories for the day are about 1500, and I burned off 184 for the 30 minute leisure walk. Still going strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment